Monday, October 8, 2012

Rustification Pop-Up card

This week our challenge at Simon Says Stamp and Show is 'rustification' - anything rusty you could think of. Such a fun challenge! I enjoy creating rust in different ways and decided to do a large pop-up card, using Karen Burniston's Sizzix Pop 'n cuts dies and a bunch of Tim Holtz Alterations dies and Stamper's Anonymous stamps.

Here's the front, where someone has been typing a message on a rusty old typewriter:

I wanted it to look as if the typewriter is sitting on a stack of papers that the sender of the card has just finished typing. I used a stack of papers from an old book aptly called The Paper Palace, misted them heavily with Frayed Burlap distress ink reinker, mixed with water, and then also a bit of Biscotti Perfect Pearls mist. The edges were distressed, torn and rolled. When dry, I inked the edges heavily with Frayed Burlap and Walnut Stain, and stamped a coffee stain stamp with Archival Ink Coffee.

The typewriter was die cut from grungeboard and painted black. Then I dry-brushed Juniper, Sail Boat Blue and a bit of silver over it. I sanded it and scratched it with a needle tool. The small parts were painted silver and put back into their place. I did a step-by-step tutorial with this faux-rust technique here.

I recently got the Ranger Rust Antiquities embossing powder, and wanted to try it. I used the new Ranger Clear Emboss It dabber embossing ink and dabbed and swept it over areas of the typewriter where I wanted the powder to stick. The final touch was to place a piece of paper underneath the typewriter that had been stamped with an alphabet typewriter stamp and fill the keyboard holes with glossy accents. I covered the silver parts with glossy accents too.

The background cardstock was stamped with the larger version of the same alphabet stamp, and I stamped a row from the smaller version of the stamp at the top of the message paper tucked into the typewriter. The sentiment was printed on my computer using a typewriter font.

The Heart & Wings die comes from Karen Burniston's pop 'n cuts range. It was cut from grungeboard. The wings were painted silver, distressed, inked with Black Soot and then coated with glossy accents. The outer heart was painted black, and embossed with the rust powder. The little heart was also painted black, but embossed with a verdigris powder instead.

The layers of book pages give a pretty cool feeling to the front of the card and a perfect home for the typewriter. When you open the card, this is what you find:

Love these pop-up cards, they are so fun to make. I made a step-by-step tutorial using this same Winged Hearts 3D die, you can find it here, other pop-up cards include this one and this one, and this layout. I am happy that Simon Says Stamp now carries these dies. I used a Tim Holtz Crowded Attic patterned paper for the cardbase, and turned the patterned side inwards.

I cut a rectangle of manila cardstock and die cut the Winged Hearts pop-up from that, carefully placing it so that the fold would be in the centre of my paper. If you don't have the base die for the pop 'n cuts, you can also use your ordinary base tray. I cut the Winged Hearts pop-up a second time, from eclipse tape (remember to turn the tape so that the sticky side faces towards your cutting pad). Carefully cut the mask out, you will use both the positive and the negative side. Mask the two hearts and the wings. Ink the paper with Antique Linen, Old Paper and Frayed Burlap. Then I misted with Biscotti Perfect Pearls mist.

When dry, the clocks and compass were stamped with Frayed Burlap. The hand was stamped with Archival Jet Black. Then I stamped repeatedly with the larger version of the alphabet stamp. I held the stamp in my hand instead of mounting it on an acrylic block for a more uneven look, and stamped it with mainly second and third generation stamping (I stamped it once first on a piece of scrap paper).

I removed the mask from the hearts and placed the negative mask around them to protect the surrounding cardstock. The hearts and wings were inked with Old Paper, adding a bit of Frayed Burlap. Then I coated them with embossing ink - love the new embossing dabber, it is perfect for these types of techniques. I covered the hearts with the rust power and brushed just a little bit off for a less perfect look. I cut the hearts from book paper, with the Heart & Wing die, which coordinates perfectly with this pop-up die. The sentiment was printed on my computer.

The key and keyhole were die cut from Ranger's shrink plastic, which is the perfect solution when you want a small embellishment. The pieces were shrunk and then coloured with alcohol inks (Juniper, Sailboat Blue, Ginger, Snow Cap), to create a patina look. They were coated with glossy accents on the front.

Here's a close-up of the little heart and of the key. If you didn't know it, it would be hard to guess this key comes from the same die as the large key below.

The key was die cut from grungeboard, painted silver, distressed, inked with Black Soot and coated with glossy accents.

This piece was also cut from grungeboard and was given the same treatment as the typewriter. The word was cut from the book. The edges of the pop-up piece were cut with the Brackets On the Edge die. I matted it on kraft core cardstock.

You see the pop-up mechanism better here. It is so cool and such a fun surprise for the recipient.

Play along with us and show us your rusty creations! As always, Simon Says Stamp gives a $50 gift voucher to one lucky participant.

22 comments:

  1. I love all your projects - but this is for sure one of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna-Karin, I love this especially your rusty typewriter and the added aged pages are lovely. Aren't the pop ups great fun to create. Love your rusting technique and use of embossing powder. The inside is just as wonderful as the outside. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! Love the details on the inside and out. The typewriter with the little message is clever. The inside is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna-Karin. Your rusty typewriter on the front of this extremely cool pop up card is great. I love your attention to detail and all of the thought that went into this card. Love the pop up feature of the winged heart on the inside! You always so such professional looking pieces...love this! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello,
    beautiful work!! all the layers old looked papers. thats are beautiful details.
    the inside also looks greets. nice those letters.
    everything looks very, very, good!!!
    greetings

    ReplyDelete
  6. so beautiful! so much work and detail, i wouldn't call it a card, but one of your spectacular "works."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pop up piece, Anna-Karin! So many stunning details, and I just love the layered aged papers that you used!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool card! love the rusty typewriter a lot! And those old book pages in the back really are fantastic. And it even has an inside with a popup as bonus! Really stunning! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful and beautiful creation. Nicola

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Anna-Karin, this is FANTASTIC!!! The textures rock my world. Absolutely gorgeous in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cool! Love it as I do all of your creations :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Very cool. I love the typewriter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my GOODNESS! This card is over the top FABULOUS! Love all the techniques and thank you so much for explaining how you designed this work of art :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your project is so beautiful, rustification is one thing I do not know how to do!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! Beautiful details!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome! Love your rustiness and the pop-up heart. So many great details with the keys, grunge, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely love this, Anna-Karin! The aged papers on the front are simply fabulous - really grungy, atmospheric quality to them. And all your rust speckles are great on the typewriter, with its fab black and silver streaks. Inside - it just keeps getting better! Brilliant inspiration, thank you.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anna-Karin I always have a dry mouth after visiting your site...cuz my mouth has been open in awe for so long staring at your AMAZING creations LOL OMGosh lady!! This card/project is over the moon AMAZING!! I can't get over the detail and texture you have managed to get....WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG ... this is sooooo wonderfull !!!
    I´m speechless
    hugs hellerlittle

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW this card is AMAZING - super fantastic wonderful and glorious!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!