Saturday, June 29, 2013

CSI case file #78 and Stamp Your Story

Hello Saturday! Here's our CSI:Color, Stories, Inspiration case file for this week:

I didn't think I would have time to do a CSI layout this week, but I just had to do something with the suitcase theme, and I always love a colour combo with red:

CSI case file #78 and Stamp Your Story - Layers of ink
From the evidence list I used: travel accents, something transparent, metal, buckles, faux leather, and paint, From the testimony I scrapped about a journey and placed my journaling inside a suitcase. I also did this layout for the Hero Arts challenge to use their Stamp Your Story line, which I love. For the background I applied molding paste through two Hero Arts stencils, left it to dry and then washed it with watercolour paint mixed into celery green. I really enjoy trying to mix up paint to match the colour combos, watercolours dry lighter, so it is a bit tricky.

Behind the photo there is an old map page, showing one of the areas which we travelled to during this trip.

When the green paint was dry, I splattered dots by tapping a paint brush over the paper. I also stamped with a script stamp on top of the molding paste, just to give a hint of text. I used the same brown-grey paint to dry brush paint on some areas of the layout, mainly the edges and the stencilled parts.

Two Hero Arts circles (Painted Circle and from the Texture and Shapes set) were stamped with Scattered Straw, first misting the stamp with water for a watercolour effect. The little heart comes from the Remember set and the word from My Words. With a fairly dry paint brush, I added some lines here and there.

The title was stamped with a combination of alphabet stamps and a sentiment stamp.The hearts were die cut from grungeboard, inked with red distress inks and coated with Crackle Accents.

When I saw the case file, I immediately knew I wanted to use Karen Burniston's Suitcase die, as a holder for my journaling. This is a Bigz die so it can cut through lots of material. To see another version, where I used this for a pop-up, check out this layout, and this post on the Sizzix blog featuring many suitcase ides. My suitcase is die cut from faux suede paper I got as a RAK from my stamping friend Jan, red for the suitcase and cream for the corners. The handle was die cut from kraft-core cardstock and the little tag from manila. I used a Tim Holtz buckle to hold the suitcase closed.

The suitcase was die cut a second time, from manila cardstock, which had been folded. Place the folded edge just inside the lower cutting edge on the die and die cut. That way, you get a suitcase that opens up. I adhered the suede suitcase on top.

Inside the suitcase, I wrote the journaling about this one, and other, camping trips we did as a family. On this trip we went to the north of Sweden and Norway. All our stops were planned in a way so that we could go for a swim, even in really cold water, and rivers. I recorded every swimming event in a little book, writing down the place and if we knew it, the temperature. I haven't seen that book for a long time, but I am pretty sure that it was either 52 or 72 times that we went swimming on this trip.

Thank you for the visit! Have a great weekend!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Surfaces: Daler & Rowney watercolour paper; Ranger manila cardstock; Tim Holtz Idea-ology grungeboard; faux suede paper; old map paper
Dies: Sizzix: Suitcase Bigz, Flower & Heart, Wavy LabelsHearts set
Stamps: Hero Arts: My Words CL695, Texture and Shape LP283, Painted Circle E5784, My Favorite AC030, Remember AC028, Postcard Collage AC023, Basic Lowercase Letters LL188, 19th Century French Script AC015
Ink: Ranger Archival Jet Black; Distress Ink: Scattered Straw, Frayed Burlap; Stazon Stone Gray
Paint: Daler & Rowney watercolours
Stencils: Hero Arts Stamp Your Story: Irregular Checkerboard Background, Borders
Medium: Golden Artist Paint Light Molding Paste
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Film Strip Ribbon, Word Bands, Game Spinners, Buckles; lace trim

12 comments:

  1. This is just amazing !Loved the treatment you have given to the background and the suitcase idea for journaling is just wonderful ! I don't think I can ever comment on your blog without any superlatives any time ;) !

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous textural layout, Anna-Karin! Love the way you used the suitcase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful texture- love this Lo, Debi x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another completely stunning layout, Anna-Karin... if I ever take up scrapbooking it will be because of you! I love the watercolours in the background, and that amazing texture too. Such subtle layered elements, and the journalling inside the suitcase is inspired - brilliant!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  5. totally gorgeous,so much to it, yet it seems so open. love it and like previous, if I take up scrapbooking it will because of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your Fab Five win, Anna-Karin! Such an amazing layout!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the texture and details - yet still having space to breath. A deserved win - Congrats on your Fab 5 win!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The way you've stamped on the moulding paste is brilliant & oh so beautiful. Thanks for the inspiration, Anna-Karin! And congrats on your Hero Arts feature too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all the texture on this and the suitcase journaling flap! Congrats on your well deserved fab five win!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the FAB5! LOVE the textures you made with the stencils.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a good ide to use the suitcase die on your fabulous page! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!