Saturday, August 24, 2013

CSI case file #86 - Admire

Hello and welcome! We have another lovely case file for you at CSI: Color, Stories, Inspiration this week. If you have never played along at CSI, I hope you will join us, it is such a friendly place and a really great challenge.
 
You might know that I love watercolours, so I was pretty inspired by this week's inspiration photo.
 
 I have pile of 'waiting to be scrapped photos' on my desk, and this photo of my sister holding my son when he was a baby has been on top of that pile for a while. I love the way they look at each other on the photo and he really admires his fun aunt. From the evidence items I used: art medium (gelatos - since the word is even written on the inspiration photo), vellum and transportation images. From the testimony, I made a window and placed my journaling behind it, and also handwrote the journaling. 
 
The background is watercolour paper. I stamped it with a mix of images and then coloured with Faber-Castell Gelatos. You can get the same effect with watercolours or Distress Ink. The stamps are from Hero Arts.
 
I love this bird stamp. The heart was white embossed on vellum. The small hearts were die cut from grungeboard covered with sticky-back canvas, using the great Flower & Heart die, which cuts five hearts at once. The cafe look of the inspiration photo made me think of this chalkboard paper my stamping friend Jan sent me. I die cut labels from it, using Karen Burniston's Funky Labels and Wavy Labels dies and stamped words with Picket Fence Distress Paint.
 
I was happy to discover that the smallest wavy label fit perfectly inside the doodled frame stamp.
 
These fun flowers and the birds are some of my favourite Hero Arts stamps. I used a grey Gelato to paint shadows under all the stamped shapes. The Gelatos were applied with a paint brush and not directly to the paper with the crayon, for a softer and more fluid effect.

The photo is taken in my parents' kitchen and they have two cabinets with frosted glass, I tried to imitate that on my layout and made a window with Eileen Hull's Window Box die. It was die cut from mat board and stamped with a woodgrain stamp and Antique Linen, ending up looking very similar to the kitchen cabinets. To make frosted windows, I used vellum, which was first white embossed with the Dandelion Frame stamp. I used a pen nib as a handle.

 The window opens and the journaling is written behind it.

The butterflies were white embossed on vellum and stapled to the layout.

The vine was die cut from vellum and the little banner from white cardstock.

Thank you for looking!!

Have a lovely weekend!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Surfaces: Daler & Rowney watercolour paper; Neenah Solar White Smooth cardstock; Claudine Hellmuth sticky-back canvas; Tim Holtz Idea-ology grungeboard; Sizzix Little Sizzles white mat board 6 x 13; Canvas Corp Chalkboard paper; vellum
Dies: Sizzix: Window Box, Vine #2, Hearts & More, Flower & Heart, Funky Labels, Wavy Labels
Stamps: Hero Arts: Dandelion Frame CG153, My Favorite AC030, Time AC029, My Notebook AC027, Tall Circle Flowers K5581, Just Because CG351, Untitled Heart AC002, Three Flower Balls K5598, Past Times AC007, Wise Bird H5719, Life Can Be S5773; Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz: Wallpaper & Wood
Ink: Ranger Archival Jet Black ink; Distress Ink: Antique Linen; Versamark
Embossing powder: Ranger Seafoam White
Paint: Distress Paint: Picket Fence; Faber-Castell Gelatos: Butter Cream, Squid Ink, Guava, Mango
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Pen Nibs

4 comments:

  1. Lovely layout Anna-Karin, love how you imitated,the frosted glass cupboards, clever idea. Love the vellum heart too. Gorgeous colours and design. Lovely way to hold onto such wonderful memories. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful elements in your layout, great use of the door die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize there was journaling behind the door! How clever- because sometimes you just want a fun surprise. The vellum stamping and embossing is one of my favorite techniques of yours- so pretty, so inspiring. Thanks for using my dies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved how you have added various elements to go with the photo ! The door with journaling is superb idea and loved the vellum butterfly too !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!