Monday, December 23, 2013

Merry Christmas Blueprints

Hello everyone! We are not having a challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge this week, instead we are going to post some inspiration. Today six members of the team will share inspiration using Tim Holtz stamps.

If you are like me, you might discover that you made too few Christmas cards once again and need some quick cards. Tim Holtz blueprint stamps are perfect for this.

In the past, I used to make different Christmas cards for each recipient. Nowadays, there isn't time for that since I do lots of other types of projects too. In those days, I would only make Christmas cards the last months of the year. Last year, I made quick inky cards, you can see them here. This year there is more variety since I've made quite a few cards at a time, for various tutorials and posts. But I was still lacking.

The blueprint stamps are fun to colour and since they are pretty large, you don't need much more on the card. Here I used a fabulous bauble.

I added some extra sentiments with rub-ons, but you could skip this step, the blueprint stamps don't really need sentiments.

I started out by die cutting eight backgrounds from watercolour paper, using Tim Holtz Cameo Frame and Postage Stamp Frame dies. The blueprint images were stamped with Archival Jet Black ink. It is important to use a waterproof ink since we are going to use water. The images were watercoloured with Distress Ink. Smear Distress Ink on your craft sheet, mist once with water and pick up with a paint brush.

If you work relatively quickly you can drop in a darker colour while the first colour is still wet, which creates nice wet-on-wet effects as you can see here on the ice skate. Don't add in more colour when the previous layer is almost dry, since then you'll get cauliflower effects.

I wanted some more shine and painted around all the images with Biscotti Perfect Pearls. You don't really see the effect on the photos, but it adds a great shimmer.

 I painted a shadow under some of the images with Iced Spruce.

When the Biscotti mist was dry, I splattered the panels with Walnut Stain ink. Press the ink on your craft sheet, mist with water and pick up with a paint brush. Tap the brush with your finger. Remember to protect your clothes and work surface since the splatters fly far.

The edges of the panels were inked with Gathered Twigs. 

I picked out some kraft-core cardstock, which works great for quick cards, since it adds extra detail and texture. The card fronts were embossed in different embossing folders, sanded and inked slightly.

The panels were stapled to the background and finally I also added a piece of Silver Tinsel Twine for that extra festive feeling.

If you use the small blueprint stamps instead, you can easily turn these ideas into quick gift tags.

There won't be a challenge to link up to this week, but of course you can still head over to Simon Say Stamp for some shopping.

http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/servlet/StoreFront

I hope you will all have a very Merry Christmas!! I still have a few Christmas projects to share, so I'll be back tomorrow again.

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Surfaces: Ranger Watercolor Paper; Tim Holtz Core'dinations Kraft-Core cardstock
Dies: Sizzix: Cameo Frame, Postage Stamp Frame
Embossing folder: Sizzix: Dot-Matrix & Gridlock, Harlequin & Stripes, Holly Pattern & Wreath, Snowflake Pattern & Plaid
Stamps: Stampers Anonymous: Christmas Blueprint, Christmas Blueprint 2,
Ink: Distress Ink: Antique Linen, Frayed Burlap, Gathered Twigs, Iced Spruce, Peeled Paint, Walnut Stain; Ranger Archival Ink: Jet Black
Mist: Ranger Perfect Pearls Biscotti
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Silver Tinsel Twine, Christmas Time Remnant Rubs
Tools: Sizzix Big Shot; Tim Holtz Tiny Attacher, sandpaper

20 comments:

  1. These cards are all so pretty! I'm definitely going to do something like this next year! I never have enough cards finished in time for Christmas! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. stunning cards Anna Karin - brilliant work! Have a really happy Christmas! Hugs Rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all simply beautiful. I love the way the sparkly tinsel stands out against the distressed color palette you used in all these cards. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fab. Your picture on the SSS blog wouldn't display for me so I popped over to see what I was missing. Glad I did. Love your style. Merry Christmas to you

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely - thanks for the inspiration!
    Sandra ltb

    ReplyDelete
  6. complete gorgeousness!!! Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous watercolouring, and great tips too... I love the natural neutral colour palette you've used - and you make those blueprints look so tempting!

    Hope you and yours have a peaceful and joyous festive season, and a very happy New Year to you too!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. All these cards are beautiful! Anna- Karin. Love your great coloring. Wish you a Merry Christmas and happy holidays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anna-Karin, fabulous selection of cards, love the neutral colour palette and the embossing is gorgeous. These look so gorgeous and rustic. Happy Christmas. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful! Love the color palette. Thanks. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are fantastic! I saw them on Pinterest even before on the blog and the color palette is just fantastic and striking! Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas and a very happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great set of cards Anna-Karin! Love the techno emphasis. NancyD

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful cards! I love the various embossed backgrounds. You did a wonderful job with these. Each is uniquely beautiful. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Fabulous collection Anna-Karin! I love all those sweet blueprint images and all the textured backgrounds! Happy Holidays to you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love love these blueprint Christmas cards! The color palette is amazing! Really pretty! Merry Christmas to you and yours!! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful array of cards using these stamps! Wonderful! Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These neutral colors work nicely on the cool blueprint stamps. I am so inspired by your blog. I've ordered several supplies you used in the Worn Book Christmas journal. Thank you for all the eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anna-Karin...I LOVE your array of Christmas cards using Tim's blueprint stamps. You prove that sometimes less is more. I love the kraft backgrounds and the little hints of color that you've used on some of the designs. That is so effective! I also love the little bits of the silver tinsel twine that you've added. That looks perfect! You amaze me with your endless gorgeous projects! I hope you and your family had a very Merry Christmas! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy cow! I was amazed at how lovely these cards were even though you made them in such a relatively short amount of time! Genius! And I was seriously impressed at how you water-colored them with distress ink. I am always inspired by what you do and how you do it. Love these and am sure your recipients did, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!