Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Good Things Mug

Hello all! Today I am sharing a tutorial that I made for the Eileen Hull Art With Heart Challenge. Our challenge during January is 'Fresh Ideas'. Remember that there is a great prize to be won, in fact it is the 3-D Oven die that I used just the other day

I made a coffee mug and a spoon using the Mug & Spoon and Make-it-3-D Box dies, for a fresh start of the day. It could be that I made this because I miss my coffee a little bit, since I am not drinking it at the moment. The Make-It-3-D die is great, since it will help you to turn a large range of dies and shapes into 3-D projects, something that I love making. I'll explain more about it below. Let's start.
 
First, die cut the Mug & Spoon from white mat board. You'll need two die cuts of the cup. 

The Make-It-3-D die contains three different shapes that will help you turn many different dies into a 3-D project. You can cut them a shorter, if they are too large for your project. For the coffee cup we'll use the shape to the right. The die scores it at different places, which means that depending on where you fold it, it will fit differently sized projects. The shape to the left creates a more square form, while the middle strip is great for projects which are more rounded, and thus need more score lines. 

I tore up pages from an old dictionary book and glued to the mug with multi medium. Avoid gluing it to the flaps to ensure that they will stick well to the mug. Add a layer of multi medium on top too, to make sure it is all glued down.

When the multi medium is dry, smear some gesso over the shapes, but let quite a bit of the text show through.

This is my favourite part of the mug. I embossed the base in the Waffle folder, which has a texture that I thought fit pretty well with coffee cups.

Paint the shapes with Antique Linen and Pumice Stone Distress Paint. 

Add Walnut Stain paint to deepen the brown shapes, focus especially on the edges. Try not to get the dark brown paint into the textures of the embossing, but just dry brush it on top.

Apply a strong adhesive on the flaps. I used Ranger's Wonder Tape. Assemble the cup.

The spoon was painted grey and then I covered it with a layer of Prima's Clear Crackle Texture Paste. Leave it to dry. When dry, you can add some brown paint here and there.

You can see the crackle texture a little better here.

Here you can see what the mug looks like from above. A perfect place for a little gift to someone.

I dyed a piece of lace with Antique Linen and Walnut Stain Distress Spray Stain and placed it at the joint between the embossed and the unembossed parts of the mug.
 
I stamped the mug with stamps from Hero Arts. The hearts and sentiments were stamped with Jet Black and the splatters with Potting Soil. 

The text in the background and the various paints gives the mug an interesting texture, and makes you think of coffee too. 

This is the back of the mug with another sentiment. 

 You could easily use other sentiments, and turn the mug into a birthday gift holder, for instance.

 I added stamping to the sides of the mug too.

The other side of the mug. Use different colours for a bright and happy start of the day mug.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!

Happy crafting!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Surfaces: Sizzix Little Sizzles White Mat Board; vintage dictionary paper
Dies: Sizzix: Mug & Spoon, Make-It-3-D Box
Embossing folder: Sizzix: Sunburst & Waffle
Stamps: Hero Arts: My Words CL695, Time AC029, My Notebook AC027
Ink: Ranger Archival Ink: Potting Soil, Jet Black
Paint: Distress Paint: Antique Linen, Pumice Stone, Walnut Stain
Medium: Ranger: Gloss Multi Medium, Dina Wakley White Gesso; Prime Texture Paste Clear Crackle
Mist: Distress Spray Stain: Antique Linen, Walnut Stain
Embellishments: lace

8 comments:

  1. Such fun and a brilliant tutorial :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome tut and gorgeous project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I abolutely love it! Great work. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantasti project.Love the sentiments and the treatment of the mug surface and the spoon is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! When I got the Make it 3D die I was wondering if I could use it on anything! Great tutorial and great to see it used :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great project! I never heard of the Make it 3D die before. Nice to know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cool techniques you used on the mug and spoon and, as always, great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a fun project, and yes, I enjoyed the tutorial Anna-Karin!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!